Monday, July 23, 2012

And Still Adjusting

3 Ramadhan 1433

In the course of the day, at regular intervals I found myself checking my physical state with regard to possible headaches, feelings of nausea and the like. I'm not normally quite so obsessive but I was genuinely worried that this old frame of mine wouldn't make it through the day, or rather wouldn't be able to cope with the sudden onset of rehearsals and the attendant pressures in the late afternoon. By 4.00 pm all was well. No obvious headache, just a mild weariness. And the actual rehearsing that followed, intense as it was, took me so far out of myself that I completely forgot the fast. So far, so good.


As soon as the main rehearsals were over (made easy by our highly talented drama guys, I must admit - gosh, these people are a pleasure to work with in every respect!) things took a distinct turn for the worse. It was as if I suddenly realised just how over-stretched I'd become. A headache of immense proportions assailed me - I actually felt almost under attack. Fortunately it was now approaching sunset, so I was able to pack my things, get back and catch up with prayers, and break the fast without collapsing.

And thirty minutes later all was hunky dory. And I felt privileged to have been stretched in that way, being allowed to catch a glimpse of the extremes faced by those who are hungry and thirsty not by choice but necessity. Today's experience, and similar ones in previous Ramadhans, have taught me never to take food and drink for granted - lessons that bite deep into my core somehow.

No comments: