Saturday, June 16, 2012

The Sporting Life

I didn't bother watching the early games in Euro 2012. We were still in Singapore when the whole thing started and I hadn't bothered paying the excessive fees to get the tv coverage. My intention was to start watching here in KL where Astro provides excellent coverage, free of charge, thank you. And I'm talking about watching at civilised times during the day rather than embracing the live experience.

Oddly enough I thought from the beginning that England might put up a fair showing. It's useful to have so much going against you in psychological terms. Just watched the Sweden game and thought I saw plenty of promising signs, though I'm not convinced that Danny Welbeck genuinely knew where the ball was actually going for the winner. But the point is that that's the kind of thing that doesn't matter as long as you get the points and Hodgson is canny enough to know that.

To be honest though, the real pleasure is watching Spain play the game as it's intended to be played. Which is not the way the Irish play it - so it was good to see them get duly slaughtered. I still feel guilty about how happy I was when the Swiss beat Spain in the first round of the last Euro tournament, despite how brilliant the Spanish were in that game. But that's the downside of the beautiful game. You don't have to play particularly beautifully to get your name on the trophy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you've watched this, but I think you'll enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdO3u6ORlGM

Bill Bailey and the orchestra.

Brian Connor said...

Many thanks - and apologies for the delayed reply. I hadn't seen it, and I still haven't, due to a very weak Internet connection here in Malaysia. But will be viewing soon, once back in my usual Far Place. Must say, what I have seen so far, the first five minutes, looked highly enjoyable.

Hope you're still enjoying making your own music!