Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sheer Pleasure

What with work and the attentions of our houseguest I haven't really settled into any reading since coming back from Malaysia. Whilst we were there I found myself enjoying whatever came to hand and having to stop myself from reading too quickly. I zoomed through Alfian Sa'at's Malay Sketches, completing the vignettes therein in just a couple of days, for example. In fact, I'm intending to buy a couple more copies to give to Karen & Rozita. More people should read this.

And then there was my happy discovery of a number of Chesterton's Father Brown stories I'd forgotten I owned. Funnily enough I had happened to listen to one of the stories on the plane coming back from England in April and was thinking then how I needed to renew my acquaintance. The least realistic detective stories ever written, but possibly among the most perceptive. Certainly up there amongst the most entertaining.

I also cleared my back copies of the Times Literary Supplement (just one, that I bought whilst back in England) and the New York Review of Books (which I now get cheaper than I used to from Holland Village.) Time well spent, I reckon - busy doing not very much.

No comments: