Monday, June 11, 2012

Packing

Now considering what to take up to KL tomorrow for our June jaunt. Went to change some Sing dollars for ringgit this evening down Orchard Road, Lucky Plaza actually, where the rates are reasonable, and found myself in Kinokuniya, led there by the Missus herself who wanted to look at the magazines they had in stock. Finally found a copy of Alfian Sa'at's Malay Sketches and very handsome it is, with excellent illustrations by Shahril Nizam. Ethos books have a winner here, I hope. Read the first four sketches on the bus back - they're all very short - and loved each one.

Also read Don Paterson's introduction to his Reading Shakespeare's Sonnets and his commentary on Sonnet 1 on the same bus. This was one I just couldn't not buy. Paterson's Rain is the best collection of poems I've read for quite a while, so you can call me a fan there, and I'd heard so many positive things about his book on the sonnets, and I just watched my DVD of As You Like It (as performed at the Globe) this afternoon. I had no resistance to offer, so I didn't (offer any.)

So that's two books on the packing list so far, but still there's room and thinking to be done. And I've still not begun to consider the CDs and DVDs that will make the journey north. Yikes.

No comments: