Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Something In The Air

With some reluctance I've put the DVD of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy into my bag to return it to Bernard tomorrow. I had considered another viewing, with Noi watching, but our current addiction to Little Dorrit precludes that, and I need to return it otherwise I'll end up stealing it.

Nice description from Noi to Siew, on the phone, of our current viewing experience: A Charles Dickens's show. Lots of episodes and we've got to know what happens. Pretty succinct, eh?

In the meantime here's a final thought about Le Carre's spellbinder: Didn't people smoke an awful lot of cigarettes back in 1979? I mean, I don't remember being quite so aware when I originally watched the series of just how intensely frequent the smoking is. It adds atmosphere, of course, of a suitably sordid nature. My goodness, all those crumpled suits must have reeked of tobacco.

No comments: