Thursday, March 29, 2012

Declining Values

Saw something on Sky News the other day about the possibility of a dramatic fall in the value of artworks by Damien Hirst and all that crew. It seems some influential types are suggesting the emperor has no clothes and if the market notices this there could be trouble. Now I've got nothing against the enfant terrible in question; in fact, I rather like what I've seen of his stuff and would willingly part with a couple of hundred dollars to acquire some. But, as you will no doubt be aware gentle reader, in this area I'm no great judge of artistic merit so my approval counts for nothing.

Now what I'm leading up to with all this is how much fun it would be to see a collapse of the market. Not that I wish ill fortune on those with shares in the stuff, but I reckon these folks can afford the loss and it would be such a salutary lesson for all of us. And, even better, it's not at all clear what the actual lesson would be - always the best way of learning from experience.

1 comment:

Trebuchet said...

Somehow, I was reminded of a rather tedious exercise of my youth — declining Latin and Greek verbs, nouns and what-have-you. I reckon that the market for such has collapsed to an appropriate level and a salutory lesson has been learnt about the power of the vernacular. Heh.