Friday, March 2, 2012

Awards

Every time I switch on the telly - not that often, if truth be told - somebody seems to be rambling on about yet another awards ceremony, for film or music or whatever. Now I can see the value of drumming up a bit of publicity and general interest for whatever activity is being deemed worthy of recognition, but what I find puzzling is that some, possibly many, of those around when the gongs are given out seem to take it all quite seriously.

This might sound a bit daft, but I do wonder if the curious rituals attendant upon all this are functioning at some level as a replacement for what good old-fashioned religion used to provide. It's as if there's a search for genuine meaning in a life going on behind all the self-congratulation. Hope they find something there, but I rather suspect there'll be just more emptiness behind the emptiness.

No comments: