Thursday, September 8, 2011

Breaking The Silence

Regular visitors to this Far Place, if such there be, may have deduced from yesterday's entry that all resistance from myself to buying new CDs crumbled on my visit to the HMV located at 313 Orchard - at least I think that's the name of the dreadful building in which the shop is now housed, having moved from its former larger premises at a slighly less hideous shopping centre a bit further up the road some little time ago. Frankly the bingeing was intentional, as a prelude to purchasing stuff on-line. I thought I'd see just which items on my (extensive) wishlist were locally available and the answer was hardly any - but getting the Jakszyk, Fripp, Collins ProjeKct made up for the lack of any Daniel Lanois, Laura Nyro, P.J. Harvey, Van der Graff and other assorted luminaries. Oh, and the Levon Helm also came as a pleasant surprise. In fact, they also had Electric Dirt, but I thought I'd stop at one for the moment.

To be honest none of the other albums, except the Mahler, were on any of my lists, but I just couldn't resist them since they were ineffably there. The one at the top of the pile in the snapshot above I bought for the Missus though. Honest. And she was keen on the Adele and Amy Winehouse CDs, though these were plentifully acceptable to these old ears.

Must get more current sounds though. Nephew Sam sent me a list of happening numbers earlier this year and I really have to spread my net more widely.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Heh I was just there yesterday... meanwhile, I have a former student running an interesting business. She has made it more interesting with this. I thought you might be interested. :)

Brian Connor said...

Thanks for the link. Definitely piqued interest & potentially taste buds.