Sunday, July 24, 2011

Questions Of Belief

Today's entry is by way of a reply to some interesting questions asked of me by someone who'd read the blog a few days back under the comments bit. S/he inquired as to where I saw myself fitting into Islam, whether I converted due to social necessity and whether my faith is unshakeable.

As I answered under the same comments, I find myself fitting into the world of Islam with remarkable ease. Its rich and varied thought world has been and is exciting to explore. I suppose I feel most at ease with what might broadly be termed the Sufi tendencies within the faith, but this is, as always, to oversimplify. I might add here that I follow Blake's dictum All Religions Are One, so what I find rewarding in Islam is not exclusive to the faith, but I do feel temperamentally attuned to the Muslim way of doing things. And another clarification is worthwhile here. I find a lot of people seem to assume that religious faiths are somehow monolithic in their dogma. Whilst I can understand why this assumption is made, it seems to me deeply uncharacteristic of the nature of those faiths. The capacity to cater to a vast range of needs and demands of their adherents is more obviously what distinguishes living faiths.

I certainly did need to convert in order to marry my wife, a need that was attended with deep joy. Would I have converted had I never met her? I think there's a fair chance I would have. Indeed, there's an argument that says once you are able to say: There is no God but God, and Muhammad is his Messenger, you are muslim (though perhaps not Muslim.) I reckon accepting this argument might well exponentially increase the number of muslims in the world. However, had I remained on that level I'd never have experienced the rewards of Muslim practice - and there's an argument that Muslims might be distinguished by what they do, rather than what they believe.

As for the notion of steadfastness, I must say it doesn't have a lot of meaning for me. I don't find great obstacles to belief, quite the opposite, but I'm happy to consider well-founded, well-informed criticisms of Islam, or religious faith in general. I suppose you might say I don't feel in the least threatened by these. I've always been puzzled by the notion that theists of various colours don't feel doubt when it's so obvious that most, if not all, do - and rightly so. The dark night of the soul is a real lived experience, and possibly a necessary one.

Anyway that's my fairly obviously inadequate attempt to do justice to the questions. I'd get seriously worried if I found the answers flowing more readily.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

here are criticism of Islam (some written by former Muslims, from a Christian perspective). do have a look:
about the Qu'ran:
http://answeringislam.org/Quran/index.html

about the Muhammad:
http://answeringislam.org/Muhammad/index.html

I'll be interested to know your views on these articles should you choose to read them :-)

Anonymous said...

Do also consider this article from someone who is familiar with both the Qu'ran and the Bible and who has lived in Pakistan for 20 years.
http://answeringislam.org/Testimonies/larson.html

Trebuchet said...

I love your last paragraph. It's very difficult to answer these things, and I too would be seriously worried if I found the answers coming too easily.

A couple of years ago (as I do every few years, or sometimes more frequently), I had some thoughts related to that idea of rich variation...

Tristienne said...

I figure I might as well use a name if I'm going to continue reading and commenting on this most interesting blog, lest my comments be confused with other anons - the one who finds male use of eyeliner disagreeable is not me. Some very interesting perspectives here, certainly an approach to faith with a deeper level of thought than most. Thanks very much for taking the time to answer my questions.

Brian Connor said...

Apologies to both Trebuchet & the newly baptised Tristienne for taking so long to thank you for the comments above, but my life has not exactly been my own lately. Enjoyed re-reading the Christian Monotheism post from Findings, (in fact I enjoy re-reading everything from there.) And, rest assured Tristienne, I figured you were not the same 'anon' as in s/he of the curious eyeliner reference. That came from one of an unusually select group with access to the mysteries of an unusually select script - until last Friday, that is, when said script became enjoyably public property.

Brian Connor said...

Not too sure what to make of the two comments from 'anonymous' on top. I delayed moderating them into this Far Place until I had a little time to address them, having decided, possibly rather too charitably, that they were posted in good faith - as opposed to someone looking for a quarrel. Assuming there is a genuine openness and interest in hearing what I think of the articles, the simple answer is not a lot. I've expanded a little further on this in my final entry for the months of July and, coincidentally, Syaaban.