Thursday, June 9, 2011

Overflowing

We spent part of the afternoon at a nearby shopping mall in the little cell of storage space we've been renting since arriving at the Hall. This contains, amongst a few other things, the overflow from our time at the three-bedroom Mansion which can't be contained within our present four walls. We were there to check everything's okay and generally tidy up, providing some new sturdier boxes to replace the collapsing ones we originally thought would suffice for the various documents, magazines and old books we're sort of hiding away.

Which begs the question, of course, as to why we don't simply throw the stuff out. The answer, from both of us, as we're equally guilty on this one, is that something there might just come in handy. In Noi's case she's thinking recipes, for the most part; in my case it's material related to the classroom. For example, for some reason I generally finish useless workshops with some sort of material to remind me I attended and for some even more obscure, indeed unfathomable, reason I find it difficult to part with said documents.

Oddly enough I never used to have this problem. I have hardly anything with me from my time teaching in England, yet some of what I did have then was genuinely useful. I suppose I'm somehow shoring these fragments against my ruins, but when the fragments themselves are little more than ruins it's not going to count for much.

No comments: