Monday, May 16, 2011

Getting Personal

Finished Carey's wonderful Golding book. But I feel a sense of disquiet. I know that at least one reason I enjoyed it was finding out so much that surprised me about Sir William and that some of what I discovered was not exactly to his advantage. I'm sure that Carey wasn't doing the dirty on the great man, in part because he addresses this very issue in a most illuminating manner towards the end of the book. Also because the great man emerged as even greater in my eyes as a result of what I learnt. But I still wonder if I wasn't engaged in a kind of higher form of gossip.

I felt like this after reading Sid Smith's fine book on my favourite group King Crimson (nattily titled In The Court of King Crimson.) I remember wondering even as I read whether I really had to know about all the unpleasantness among the various wonderful musicians who graced the band over the years and whether it really helped me hear the music better.

I hope I become a better reader of Golding. That's my only excuse. Otherwise after this knowledge there's no forgiveness.

No comments: