Friday, April 29, 2011

No Escape

Somewhat mysteriously I didn't get an invitation to today's royal wedding shindig. Not that this was a bad thing as I would have turned it down. Indeed I thought I might just escape from the whole affair being away in this Far Place.

Alas, this was not to be. In the mornings I now watch Sky News (since moving to the Hall) as BBC World only offers the rather tedious World Business Report at the time I'm preparing to leave, and it's very oriented towards news of events back in the UK. Normally this is palatable, if parochial (though the sports news is very good) but this week it's been wall-to-wall royal tedium. And then arriving home this afternoon, what do I find? The missus actually watching the whole thing on the goggle box. Fortunately I got her out into the real world for a cuppa - but I was forced to record the bit she missed. And now she's back in front of the screen drinking the whole sorry occasion in.

Fortunately I've been able to vent a bit by evincing violently republican sentiments in front of several bemused classes this week, and that's been fun. But otherwise what can I say, other than: the horror, the horror!?

3 comments:

The Hierophant said...

I feel for you, sir. Also, as a student of history, I ought to note that at some point the Anglican church started worshipping the monarchy and the idea of Englishness as well.

Brian Connor said...

What I don't get is how a people who had the good sense to get rid of the Stuarts then had the bad sense to invite them back again.

The Hierophant said...

The accession of George I is even better: they had to get a Protestant German because over fifty of those next in line to Queen Anne were Catholic.