Friday, April 8, 2011

Not To Be Missed

Was idly flicking through the movie channels we get on cable yesterday and was stunned to find myself watching a bit from Christine Edzard's great adaptation of Little Dorrit. In fact, she directed two films based on the novel, each telling the story to the end but from different perspectives. I saw the films when they came out in the cinema back in England - since it's my favourite of all Dickens's novels I wasn't likely to miss them - in the 1980's and loved them. I remember them being well-reviewed, but then they seemed to just drop out of sight and they sort of slipped from my awareness.

I could only watch a couple of minutes yesterday but I quickly and excitedly checked the listings to ascertain they're being shown again (on the MGM channel this Sunday and Tuesday) so as to be able to programme the recorder. Trust me all you right thinking folks out there: this is one not to be missed - the real deal - almost the thing itself.

No comments: