Friday, March 4, 2011

All In The Timing

Huge good fortune fell my way earlier today when I managed to get myself to the mosque at Clementi without getting extremely wet in the process. I only noticed the darkness of the clouds over the area as I drove into the car park nearby, when it occurred to me that the heavens were likely to declare themselves open sometime soon. It takes me about three minutes to walk from the spot I park in to the mosque entrance - actually the back way, next to the HDB car park, of which about a minute is in the open, the last stretch to the mosque. I calculated that I would get there without any real problem and was very, very wrong.

Just as I stepped into the uncovered area the rain started, and it was obvious it was very quickly going to be of that monsoon quality that renders one soaked in two or three seconds. The three guys ahead of me also recognised the obvious signs and we suddenly became a small team of ungainly sprinters in a comical surge across the space. We made it with around three seconds to spare, getting quite, but not violently, wet in the process.

The monsoon lasted some thirty-five minutes, just slightly less than it took for the prayers to be concluded, and I stepped out into a newly-washed, rainless world. Lovely. Lucky.

No comments: