Monday, February 28, 2011

Sleep - Lack Of

I don't expect to sleep through the night, warbled a middle-aged Paul Simon some years back, and the old fogies listening like myself nodded and murmured, Yeah you got that right, or words to that effect. There was nothing terribly special about this - just an astute observation of the way things are, and sort of rightly so, following the natural order of things.

But I can’t see it as part of the order of things that many of the teenagers I teach routinely tell me they get only around five hours of sleep a night, and these are not guys wasting their time on computer games and the like. They are simply busy fulfilling what they see as being necessary to fulfil. I suppose I'd lose sleep worrying about this, if I had any left to lose.

No comments: