Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Something Pleasant

It's a simple enough truth, but one I find that consistently surprises and delights me: almost without exception the people I work with, and have worked with over a period of thirty years, are so thoroughly nice. Of course we all remember being told by English teachers to avoid using the word 'nice', but it's really the only one that will do.

Quite a tough day today was made a lot less difficult by all sorts of folk going out of their way to help when they really need not have done so.

Perhaps this is why I've never been able to develop a consistently dark picture of the way the world is despite the abundant temptations to do so.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

I'm reading Kate Fox's excellent autocultural anthropology book, Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour, for the second time. If you haven't read it, you might want to have a look...

I am somewhat mortified and yet rather amused to find that I still seem to conform to some of her rules.

Brian Connor said...

It's now on my reading list, thanks. (But the problem is that the list's a bit long.)