Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On Feeling Tired

22 Ramadhan 1431

I dozed spectacularly this afternoon, as I did yesterday also. A well-timed holiday for Teachers' Day put me in a position to do so and I gratefully took advantage. This was in addition to a return to the comfort of our bed after the morning prayer where I luxuriated until 9.00 am. Yet I still feel tired, such weariness being the default state for the month. I suppose the tiredness is related in some way to fasting though I'm not entirely sure how.

Only three days of work are left (one being a Saturday I'll be spending at our Drama Camp) before we get a week off, the week in which Eid falls. So that has worked out well, and I'm thankful.

But I can't say I mind the tiredness. In truth, it's something I almost welcome for its otherness. It's a way of redefining one's relations with the world, once the potential for irritation is overcome. It's important to ride the feeling, going with the flow, as they used to say. The gift of patience is almost inherent in the inability of the body to get too excited about anything. I suppose the danger is of breeding a kind of easy passivity, but there's so much to be watchful of that passive and active states of mind seem to balance out.

The odd thing is that I can't recall ever feeling actually stretched in Ramadhan though one might assume it would be otherwise.

No comments: