Saturday, September 18, 2010

More Moaning

At 13.40 yesterday I stood from my chair at the conclusion of a meeting and moaned, or rather yelped, if not in agony then in something suspiciously close. I thought I'd slipped yet another disk - not too many left now. And this, seemingly having successfully negotiated a very tough week involving lots of bending and lifting as part of my examination duties - assisted by the painkillers I'd got in Melaka at the end of last week. Ironically I'd simply been sitting down in reasonably relaxed fashion for a little under an hour when the pain struck. And once the pain came it stayed. The rest of the day did not go well.

And today has been pretty much of a match. Unfortunately I've had to get some examination scripts marked and this has proved unusually difficult as there isn't any position at all for marking that I'm comfortable in. I have had to keep shifting around and as a result the marking has taken a long, long time. We were intending to visit Hakim and Intan as part of our Raya walkabout but that scheme has had to be abandoned.

The only good thing, apart from Noi taking care of me, is that the doc says it isn't actually a slipped disk, just severe muscle strain. I'd sort of guessed this as Noi helped me last night on some leg lifts that my back doc does with me, and my left leg could be raised to its full extension. (The pain, by the way, is located in the left lower back.) He also gave me a magic jab and some more pills. I don't feel any obvious relief just yet, but I live in hope.

In the meantime I'm figuring out how I might get out of this chair once I've uploaded this post. Wish me luck - it isn't going to be easy.

No comments: