Saturday, August 21, 2010

Reflecting

11 Ramadhan 1431

Finished Gai Eaton's Remembering God: Reflections on Islam yesterday. As with his Islam and the Destiny of Man I found myself reading at high speed with a curious sense of recognition of how many of his ideas chime with my own (though far better expressed and far more clearly thought through.) And also at times an uneasy feeling that I didn't quite see eye to eye with every conclusion drawn. There's a bit about gun control in the States that made me decidedly queasy - Mr Eaton being, as far as I can tell, dead against it.

There's something of the rugged individualist about the writer that's entirely endearing. I suspect he's politically conservative in a way that is on the wrong side of the fence from myself, yet it's the kind of conservatism for which I cannot help but have an enormous soft spot, that of the true libertarian.

I'm left thinking that, as with Islam and the Destiny of Man, I've just got to read the book again and sort out just what affect it's had on me, because affect it certainly has had.

No comments: