Sunday, July 18, 2010

A Little Cache

I recently purchased some CDs through the good people at amazon.com, the first time in quite a while I've bought anything on-line. The order got here remarkably quickly, at least a week ahead of the earliest date I thought they'd manage. A little reminder of how easy it is to use such services. Which is both wonderful and a bit of a worry. The wonderful bit is obvious. The bit of a worry comes about when considering the sheer volume of books & CDs I could easily decide as necessary to my existence, when they are not. Nice, yes, and easy to justify, but not essential. As it is, I've struggled to find time to listen properly to what I've now got. Mind you, I've enjoyed every moment of what I have heard.

Just for the record the cache comprises two Procul Harum classics, from the beautifully packaged reissues on the Salvo label - Grand Hotel and Exotic Birds and Fruit. My suspicions of the 1970's, that this was a band who'd stand the test of time, are confirmed. Also another two albums from roughly the same period by Steeleye Span - Please To See The King and Below The Salt. They make good listening, as they always did, but do sound a little bit of their time, I think. And finally, no fewer than four offerings from The Decemberists, having failed to find anything other than the wonderful Hazards of Love either in Singapore or the UK. (I must admit, I forgot to look for their stuff when we were in Paris, where there might have been a chance.) - Her Majesty, Castaways and Cutouts, Picaresque and The Crane Wife. Not a dud among them. We live in fruitful times, almost too much so.

No comments: