Saturday, May 15, 2010

A Sort Of Silence

With Noi popping over to Melaka this morning for most of the weekend I'd been hoping to spend a good deal of the day listening to soothing sounds from the stereo to make up for her not being around. It was not to be. Even though I'd mentally lined up a number of items - involving Elvis Costello, some Fripp soundscapes and Led Zeppelin & its various alumni - these took second place to the sombre necessity of reading and grading a pile of Theory of Knowledge essays.

For some reason I require silence these days for this kind of work. I seem to remember being able to watch television, listen to music and argue with anyone who happened to be around whilst writing essays as a younger man, but those days are long gone. I wonder just how coherent those essays were though.

So the music has largely gone by the board, though I'm intending an intense encounter with the Page/Plant No Quarter album a little bit later, just to salvage something from the wreckage of time.

No comments: