Sunday, May 2, 2010

Not Quite Routine

Dug deep to find the self-discipline necessary to keep chipping away at the marking and other work-related goodies whilst stepping a little bit out of the routine here in Melaka. Will be heading south in an hour or so to resume life as usual, a little lighter for a haircut from the missus, and a little heavier with the morning's epok epok and prata on board.

Made some progress with Can You Forgive Her? now moving into the final quarter with George Vavasor now emerging as the cad one always suspected he might turn out to be. But I seem to have temporarily abandoned Anatomy of Literature for the delights of Kate Summerscale's The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, an unexpected but extremely welcome birthday gift from Karen, who has a very shrewd idea not simply of what appeals to me but of what I find irresistible.

2 comments:

RL fan in Lahndahn Tahn. said...

Hello Brian,

I have been reading your blog with great interest. You taught my wife, Sharliza Rahman, and her best friend, Annisa, directed me to your blog.

I am completing my PGCE at the moment, and I've secured a job at Sixth Form in Woking as an English teacher.

My ultimate goal is to come and teach in Singapore. I am also a Muslim convert, though sadly not an MU fan (more interested in Rugby League).

I'm looking to talk to someone who can give me a feel of what it's like to teach in Singapore. If you could spare the time, please get in touch- my email address is pemberton.leslie@gmail.com. Any help greatly appreciated,

Les

Brian Connor said...

Nice of you to drop in, Les. As you may have noticed from some of my recent tetchy complaints about being busy, time has been at a bit of a premium lately, but things are now winding down a little and I'll be dropping you a line by the weekend if not before.

Pity about your sad misguidedness re MU but I suppose someone somewhere has got to support Rugby League. Nice to get news of Sharliza. The last I heard she was singing in a band. Hope she's still keeping her indie credibility.