Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Critical Factors

I don't know who Chang Tou Liang is but I can only have the highest of praise for his? her? (pardon my abysmal ignorance of gender in relation to Chinese names) reviews of classical music in The Straits Times. There was a lovely piece today on a chamber concert featuring material from Brahms that made me wish I'd been there to take it in - always the sign of a good review. Chang usually manages to say positive things, but in a precise and judicious manner that shows a genuine listening ear at work. And there's also a sense of the reader being actually informed by the reviews. You could learn a fair bit about the nature of Brahms's music itself from today's review.

And this was a review of a little concert, as it were, with nothing terribly prestigious or glamorous about it. One of the soloists had only just graduated from a local conservatory. I imagine it's extremely heartening to read supportive criticism of this sort when you're just starting out.

And that leads me, circuitously, to the main point of all this. Much as I distrust critics/reviewers, they are integral to the development of a culture. At the least they can nudge things in fruitful directions. It's a pity there aren't more here with the class of this one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is his blog: http://pianofortephilia.blogspot.com/


a student

Brian Connor said...

Many thanks! Lovely stuff, confirming my high opinion.

Trebuchet said...

Tou Liang's also a great GP. It is therapeutic to have your ills attended to while discussing classical music and family matters. :)

Brian Connor said...

Do you know everyone on this little island??

Do tell the good doctor how much I admire (and learn from) his reviews. I thought he was some sort of hotshot lecturer in Music at the university or something of that ilk.