Monday, April 19, 2010

Learning From Experience

When walking through what you assume to be an open glass door check that there isn't any actual glass in the place you assume there isn't. I didn't, and am now nursing a terrific headache and a cut & bruise over my left eyebrow. It seems that when walking at pace I lead with my head. Fortunately the glass door didn't break, even if it felt like my head did.

Amazingly a number of students who witnessed the collision (certainly some must have heard it - it being of the resounding variety) didn't find it funny enough to laugh, but actually offered sympathy. Young people are obviously far more civilised now than of old. When I was a student I'm pretty sure I'd have enjoyed the spectacle of teacher meeting glass door more than a little. In fact, I recall the wonderful Jack Connolly colliding with a half-open window when going incendiary doing one of Lear's speeches on the heath, half knocking-off his spectacles, and still keeping going, much to our merriment, admiration and general delight.

So this joins the other piece of advice every male teacher should take to heart: always check your zip before embarking on an assembly. Fortunately I learnt that one without having to undergo the requisite experience.

One last, odd little detail. Following said collision I walked around with bloodied brow for a good twenty minutes without exciting a single comment from anyone. (I was so busy at that point I just didn't have time to clean the cut.) I suppose it was taken for granted that a teacher on his way to a drama rehearsal might well go to extremes to get into character.

No comments: