Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Pure Escapism

Left my troubles behind for an hour so just now, taking refuge with Bertie Wooster in New York. I've nearly finished viewing the DVDs of the various Jeeves and Wooster series made for Granada tv, being now on the fourth and, sadly, final series. I've never quite understood what critics, some of them, have got against purely escapist literature and the like. Thank goodness that Wodehouse created a world it's so easy to slip away from it all into.

Bertie buying the Collected Works of the great philosopher for Jeeves's birthday: There's nothing I like better than to curl up with Spinoza's latest. Made me want to start on the Ethics all over again. Almost.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

I myself have never quite understood what educators, some of them, have against purely entertaining education and the like. Unfortunately, it's harder to slip away from that world.

Glad to see you looking so well, and your missus too. :) Have you managed to visit the Highlander on Kampong Bahru Road yet?

Brian Connor said...

Glad to hear you think we look well. I'm feeling raddled even iof I look vaguely passable, but the missus is, as usual, blooming, I agree.

Miss having you around as a prime source of entertainment in almost every educational circumstance.

Not managed to visit anywhere very much, I'm afraid. A bit sad, but only a very little bit. Hope you're managing to enjoy the fruits of civilisation yourself!