Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Not So Nice

Every time I read one of those ghastly predictions regarding what will be happening to the planet around 2050 as a result of our idiocy I find myself thinking something along these lines: Well, I'll most likely be long gone by then, with an attendant sense of relief. The utter selfishness of this is staggering. I can't help wondering though if a number of world leaders are thinking something similar. It would explain a lot.

There are times it's difficult to feel even mildly comfortable about oneself, never mind ascending to the dizzy heights of righteous pride.

4 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Yeah, I think it's that. For me, though, it's more a sense of 'we deserve whatever we get, now'. Sigh.

On quite another note, you have a piece (slice?) of Chinese spam as comment #2 in your post on 'Casting'. *grin*

Arsene's boys didn't quite do the trick, as you know. I can't help but thinking he should have signed Drogba 6 years ago for £100k. More than worth it, better than Adebayor. Well, it's 'Pool next.

Meanwhile, I'm reading David Tyack's The One Best System: A History of American Urban Education. The story so far: the Americans borrowed the worst excesses of UK and Prussian education, leading to some sort of fascist mind-control regime in schools (the 'ONE BEST SYSTEM'). Then they overcompensated the other way.

Conclusion so far: Americans have no right to complain about anyone else's abuse of human rights (which we already knew), but this is especially true in the field of education. *grin*

Brian Connor said...

Yes, the missus pointed out the comment as being in Chinese, but I thought it was some oddly subtle joke about my not-so-subtle-but-odd post. Sigh.

I still think the Gunners are there with a shout, especially, of course, after Liverpool. I suppose I'm hungry for a right down to the wire three horse race. There's enough inconsistency going around from everyone to make that likely.

Americans and education? Seems an unlikely combination to me.

Trebuchet said...

Re your last line... :D

Do you remember what Gandhi said about Brits and civilization? *grin*

Brian Connor said...

Nope, missed that one. But I suspect the phrase unlikely combination might be in there. And if it is, the Mahatma was spot on.