Saturday, February 6, 2010

Losing It

I had to go into work early this afternoon just to pick up some papers I foolishly left behind yesterday. Having decided it was necessary to ruin the weekend with some non-stop marking I wasn't going to let my idiotic forgetfulness of the day before stop me. And idiotic it certainly was. Far from leaving in a mad rush I'd had a good twenty minutes or so of relaxed gazing over my desk as I was waiting for some keys to get back to me. Yet I managed to overlook a fairly obvious pile of material that had been right there in front of me.

Since this wasn't my first major error of the week - I overlooked something substantial on Wednesday, something that's part of my daily routine - it raises the interesting question not so much of whether my brain is deteriorating, which it fairly obviously is, but at what rate I'm losing my various marbles. I reckon it's pretty quick, but not in the major problem category - as yet. The tsunami of in-coming stuff one needs to remember on a daily basis is so overwhelming that mistakes, big ones, are pretty much inevitable. Which raises the interesting question of why we are so keen to create systems that no one can really cope with. It didn't use to be this way: that's something I definitely remember.

Anyway, we turned the journey to work - the missus gamely coming along - into something of a jaunt, culminating in tea and samosas at the Kampong Glam Cafe. And then it was back to the ranch to deal with what must be dealt with. Which is what I'm doing now. Sort of.

No comments: