Saturday, February 13, 2010

Favourites

There are a few references to A Private Function in Alan Bennett's Writing Home. These reminded me of what a wonderful film it was, though Bennett, the scriptwriter thereof, doesn't seem particularly in love with his own work. I think I made a video of it when it was shown on tv in the mid-eighties. I can certainly recall a great deal about it, which is unusual for me with regard to films and visual stuff generally. Beautifully cast and performed, it featured an outstanding Maggie Smith and excellent stuff from Denholm Elliott (wonderfully nasty) and Michael Palin and Richard Griffiths (both wonderfully, believably nice.)

This set me to wondering whether I'll ever be a position to draw up one of those lists of My Ten Favourite Movies, I suppose in preparation for the day I unexpectedly become famous and there is some interest in such things. Like being invited onto Desert Island Discs, except I'd never be able to specify my eight (is it?) favourite records, no matter how famous I get to be.

But I do think there is some chance I might manage a list related to films as I just don't remember enough about what I've seen, or liked what I've seen enough to have that many contenders to confuse me. A Private Function would make it on the grounds that I remember just how massively I enjoyed it and I wouldn't mind watching it again. Unfortunately, I can't get anywhere close to ten. But I reckon these are my favourite six, make of them what you will (with A Private Function combining for an odd seven: Fanny and Alexander; Heimat (German, very long at around 15 hours, so, I suppose, not strictly a movie, but I'm dying to get hold of some sort of recording of it having watched it when it aired on British tv); Cinema Paradiso; The Godfather II; ET; and Local Hero.

A satisfyingly odd line-up, I think.

No comments: