Monday, October 5, 2009

Distorted Vision

I've really got to consider wearing glasses. On Saturday when playing The Hazards Of Love and reading the lyrics I distinctly read that one member of The Decemberists provided barking vocals for the prelude to the album. I thought that was a bit insulting as there wasn't any doggy-like howling over the music that I could hear. It only occurred to me later that the said member of the group may have been contributing simply to backing vocals. Not quite as expressive, but a good deal more likely. In defence of myself though, I must say that the lyrics are printed in a tiny white font against a black background.

Then today, whilst glancing at the cover of a magazine that the Ministry of Education here sends to schools, I read: Primary school system builds on solid foundation to torture new generation. That struck me as being refreshingly forthright until I realised they probably had nurturing in mind and re-read the sentence again to confirm the milder reading. A pity though: life is somehow more exciting when you view it at an angle.

No comments: