Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Not So Good

26 Ramadhan 1430

Mum is still having a rough time with the shingles. When I rang last night she was complaining of the incessant pain in her right shoulder and sounded thoroughly browned off. The doctor had given her some new painkillers so I'm hoping they helped to get her through the night. It seems the blisters around her shoulder are looking a lot better, as if they're clearing, but the pain remains the same.

I also rang brother-in-law John who was released from hospital on Monday, following a knee replacement operation last week. He sounded in reasonably good form, but his vivid account of the op and its aftermath reminded me to try and avoid needing a new knee - it's not a pleasant procedure. He's going to be on crutches for a few weeks. This is one of the ops that Mum has had, and from which she made an amazingly speedy recovery. I'm hoping her resilience can carry through these damnable shingles.

Meanwhile there's not a lot I can do to help stuck out here. It's amazing how pain, someone else's, can make you feel thoroughly useless.

No comments: