Tuesday, September 22, 2009

In Retrospect

Some shots above of a very jolly Hari Raya taken in Melaka.

Back safely at the Mansion we're now beginning to re-establish our pre-Ramadhan routines. And, of course, after counting down the days to the end of the fast we're now missing the experience - well, I am, and I suspect Noi is as well. I suppose it's the intensity of it all that makes it so special. Somehow, despite the tiredness, you feel more alive.

Today I enjoyed a cup of tea in the SAC at work for the first time in quite a while, and it felt a little odd. The good thing was my heightened awareness of what a privilege it is to be able to enjoy such a thing at all. That's one of the powerful things about fasting - it serves to heighten ordinary experience to make you realise how extraordinary it really is; a kind of reality check.

It also reminds you of the fact that your identity is not a fixed thing - you can re-make yourself if you have enough desire. A lesson in re-programming, I suppose.

No comments: