Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Thinking Food

5 Ramadhan 1430

I spent an embarrassingly large portion of the day thinking about food. This is not a healthy activity when you are fasting. And it's not one I have over-indulged in in the past. So I'm a bit puzzled as to why I'm doing so much of it now. Case in point: just before going off to teach at 11.00 I found myself replaying in all its glory my breaking of the fast the night before - or, rather, I suppose I might have been looking expectantly ahead to what I've just been, joyfully, eating.

Although this is all rather juvenile, there is, I think, a good side to it. Simply it serves as a reminder of how wonderful food is and how grateful I should be that I get more than enough of it. The Friday sermon just before fasting began was centered on gratitude and it struck me as I listened how appropriate a subject that was at that time. And how sane and balanced the insistence is that we must be grateful for the fruits of this world.

No comments: