Thursday, August 27, 2009

Excess

6 Ramadhan 1430

Recently we've been receiving another three channels on cable - all associated with the BBC. One of them, called BBC Lifestyle, has rapidly become something of a favourite with Noi. She's watching a programme called Masterchef at this very moment. The channel generally seems to run a number of entertaining series revolving around food and its preparation. And there's also a fair number of programmes featuring people who've messed up their health and homes and are seeking to put things right - the sort of thing when they get themselves another ten years of life by following a sensible health and fitness routine for eight weeks or so.

Although I can't say I avidly watch this stuff, I don't find it objectionable and can happily watch along with the missus. I suppose this is because such programmes are basically talking sense and their optimism that people can change for the better helps restore balance to the customary cynical blight that so often characterises modern life. The trouble is, I can't help but nurture the vague suspicion that the folk we see turning their lives around are the exception rather than the rule and many of those who would benefit from watching and imitating don't make this kind of thing their regular viewing, or, if they do, manage to watch without doing anything about it.

But what has struck me very forcibly of late has been the intimate connection between these lives gone wrong and the sheer excess in which our world invites us (almost too mild a word) to participate. Too much food, too much drink, too much stuff to buy and hoard. And how this, in turn, is connected to an obvious lack of discipline, usually a straightforward, painfully obvious laziness. Houses are left in a mess because it's just too much trouble to clean up and get things straight.

I'm sounding very strict and uncaring here, not to mention downright uncharitable, and I mean to sound that way. It's fascinating how much time is spent in such programmes affirming the good qualities of those involved as if the only way they can behave sensibly is by being told how wonderful they are for doing so. This is all very silly and I think it points to just how dangerous all the excess which undermines us is. It makes us lose sight of the fundamental and obvious.

I recommend fasting, but then I would say that, wouldn't I?

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

I completely agree. With me, the problem is that Dad is a historian, and that means that the family home is mutating into some sort of archive of every document, photograph and artifact ever created by any member of the family.

Mum teaches EL/Lit (haha). The house is partly a library too. And a very messy one.

Brian Connor said...

Messy it may, but obviously an exciting place to be. The ones featured on the programmes referred to are anything but. Dreary in their sheer excess, I suppose.