Friday, June 5, 2009

On An Island

I've almost cleared all the work stuff that has to be done which means I have finally found some breathing space. Which in turn means I'll soon to be able to get in touch with real life on something more than a part time basis. The timing is particularly good as I now find myself racing through Aldous Huxley's Island and feeling very impatient with anything that gets in the way.

It's a long time since I read the novel. The edition I'm reading cost 40 pence back in 1973. That was when I was going through my first major Huxley period. In retrospect it was a good time to have read him, the right age. I can remember being especially impressed by The Devils of Loudun and Grey Eminence, more so than the fiction. A good judgment, I think. But I know I didn't enjoy Island, and now I can't think why that was. True, it's no great shakes as a novel but it's a superb exposition of ideas, and has a sense of urgency as if Huxley knew his time was short and he needed to pass on the wisdom he'd accrued.

Oddly, I think somewhere deep inside I've been aware of all that. I've known for quite some time I would go back to the novel, and I'm more than glad I did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you read roberto bolano's 2666, by any chance? epic, epic novel...

Brian Connor said...

Nope. Noticed the Hierophant waxing lyrical on his blog and was intrigued, but my current reading list is in itself an epic, so I've put this one off until next year.

The Hierophant said...

Epic is the word, though a trifle overused.