Thursday, June 4, 2009

On The Carpet

Noi is sitting and brooding over a carpet we bought this afternoon from one of the many dealers on Arab Street. The carpet in question now has pride of place under the coffee table in front of where we put the tv and stereo system. Well, I'm the one with the pride. I'm not sure the missus likes it at all, though she was the one who chose it. I don't mean that in an accusatory way at all. The poor girl is fastidious when it comes to stuff around the apartment whereas I have no taste whatsoever so anything will do for me.

This is becoming more of a problem lately as we've been in the place long enough for a lot of stuff to be starting to fall apart and need replacing. When you're a kid you look around at all the stuff that's old, which seems to be pretty much everything, and just see it in those terms. Now I remember when everything was new and still regard it a bit that way. It's a bit of a surprise that it's managed to wear out before I have.

Anyway, now we've got the new carpet home I think Noi's having second thoughts. She remarked to me earlier that it's too busy. The guy at the shop, who was very helpful, told us he'd be quite happy to swop it for another if we weren't happy when we got it home but I'm hoping it doesn't come to this since I'm happy with things as they are. However, if Noi really can't stand the thing I'd be equally happy doing a swop. The problem is I'm not too sure which other carpet we'd take in return. They all looked good to me.

Such are the headaches that come with (a little bit of) affluence.

No comments: