Saturday, June 27, 2009

Hiatus

Now temporarily ensconced in Mak and Abba's house in Melaka. Not much to do here except be gloriously lazy for the rest of the weekend.

The only thing I miss is being able to play music. Once the children were out of the way at the KL house I took the opportunity to get down to some serious listening. Prior to that it was possible to get some uninterrupted listening in, in the early morning before the house came to noisy life, but this was always doubtful and never entirely relaxing.

I didn't take that much along with me, in terms of CDs, being aware in advance of the constraints of the situation, but what I did take was thoroughly enjoyed. This was especially true of my 2 CD set of Vaughan Williams's wonderfully sunny, if slightly autumnal, opera Sir John in Love. It helps that The Merry Wives of Windsor has a special place in my affections but I think I'd enjoy the opera even if I did not have such a head start in terms of the play on which it is based. A lot of great tunes - the romantic stuff for Anne Page and Fenton is particularly good - and a beautifully expansive, tolerant, embracing, understanding, distinctly Shakespearian ending. Certainly restful after the travails of Salome, my most recent bit of operatic close listening, but I hope my heart is big enough for both.

No comments: