Tuesday, May 12, 2009

A Perception Problem

We have a perception problem, according to a spokesperson for one of the major political parties in Britain, apropos the recent and on-going scandals regarding what various politicos have been claiming on expenses. (It doesn't matter which party as they're demonstrably as bad as each other.) Well, not really. The problem is a very real one of snouts being shoved into troughs and people getting to know that and, hardly surprisingly, not liking it too much.

Greed is not very pretty and if you're suffering from it it's best to face up to the fact.

A haunting personal question might be, would one stick one's own snout in the trough given the opportunity? I'm afraid I can easily imagine circumstances under which I could. It's my great good fortune that generally those circumstances don't exist for me on the kind of scale when people begin to notice such things and I can claim some sort of tattered integrity on this front. But when I consider how much more I have than the majority of folks in this world I realise just how weak my position is.

I suppose it all begins when you develop a sense of entitlement. I just hope I never come to really think I deserve all this. Lead me not into further temptation.

No comments: