Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just Routine

On a typical working day six o' clock in the morning finds me watching the news, on BBC World, for about five minutes or so. It's my way of keeping in touch with the bigger world, I suppose.

But it's an odd time. I'm somewhat more detached from things than usual, not quite entirely there. And it's particularly strange when there's real pain in the lead story, as so often there is. This has been a particularly bad week in that regard. This morning the BBC led with the official report on sexual abuse in various Church-related homes in Ireland around that period when I was a (loved, protected) kid. Some of the victims of the abuse were not allowed in to participate in the report's release. There will be no prosecutions.

Nothing squared with the priests and brothers I remember from childhood and my teenage years: decent, kind, compassionate men all. Sometimes things just don't compute.

No comments: