Thursday, April 9, 2009

The Heat Is On

More moaning today from me, I'm afraid. It's been hot and humid since early morning, and I mean very. The missus was commenting on the perspiration on my shirt before I'd stepped out of the apartment, around 6.05, so imagine how things were once the sun was actually up.

I rarely complain about the heat. As a cold-blooded, reptilian type it generally suits me - in contrast to the suffering I endure in Manchester winters. But today was an exception. Since I was lecturing for much of the day in what I assumed were going to be icily air-conditioned lecture theatres, I wore a long-sleeved shirt. Big mistake. By the end of the first hour of a less than animated performance (I spent a fair amount of the time sitting, quite a few of the kids sleeping) I became uncomfortably aware that I was what a Victorian lady might have referred to as glowing. The prospect of stepping outside into the real heat was most unwelcome and, in the event, just the effort of swapping lecture theatres for another round (of the same lecture, not exactly the most interesting way to spend the day) was enough to convince me that the day in general was one to forget.

Fortunately our plans to travel north this evening, ahead of the long weekend with a holiday on Good Friday, were abandoned a couple of days back. We're postponing until tomorrow. I have no idea how I would have coped with the drive to KL after the trials of the day, and suspect I would not have coped at all. A grim thought, but avoiding the ordeal is something to be thankful for.

No comments: