Monday, March 9, 2009

A Matter of Record

Until last night I honestly thought a major breakthrough had been made with regard to Mum and the digital recorder thingy we got for her at Christmas. She had successfully recorded a programme and played it back. However, she now reports that when she switches the recorder on, the screen simply turns blue and that's all that happens. We seem to have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I've been trying to figure out what exactly she might have done to precipitate this new state of affairs but it's a bit like dealing with chaos theory. One press of a button for no particular reason and digital life as we know it grinds to a halt. The most irritating aspect of all this is that if I were there it would take me less than five minutes to figure things out.

But it's worth persevering. As her life shrinks to the confines of her little flat (very pleasant confines, I hasten to add - Noi and I love it there) whatever pushes Mum's world out, even just a little, is worth time and energy achieving.

1 comment:

Trebuchet said...

No no! It's not chaos theory you're describing but catastrophe theory... *grin*

I remember giving a lecture on 'Catastrophe and Crisis: Running a Department in a Changing World' once. Link here. The slides have different stuff though, and they're not in the paper. Enjoy!