Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Making Millions

The idea of giving out awards for films (& records & tv programmes & plays & novels) is so obviously daft that it acquires a kind of charm, as long as no one takes it too seriously. It is also a great way of generating oodles of publicity. I must say I was pleased at Slumdog Millionaire winning everything in sight since 1) it is the only film that the missus and I are likely to go to the cinema to watch this year (a decision we came to well before Oscar-fever set in, but on which we have not actually acted yet); and 2) Danny Boyle's Millions is one of my favourite movies of all time (though hardly anyone I know seems to have heard of it) and my good taste seems curiously validated by Hollywood recognising what a great director he is.

No comments: