Friday, February 27, 2009

In Passing

Sid Smith, author of the excellent In The Court of King Crimson, a history of every right-thinking muso's favourite rock band, maintains an equally excellent blog entitled Postcards From The Yellow Room. I've linked it here to a typically informative yet particularly poignant entry on the death of a great musician and fine writer, Ian Carr.

I was jarred when I came across this not simply by the sad news but because I'd been listening only a couple of weeks ago to a Radio 3 programme accessible at bbc.co.uk featuring Mr Carr in a fascinating conversation on his career in music. Sid's piece is a fine tribute in itself, to which I'd just add that Ian Carr's book on maestro Keith Jarrett is a model of informed critical writing and one of the best books I've read on any musician.

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Well, I'm glad that you're still going strong! It's a month for the passing of things, followed by a Long March into April.

Are we ever to have that nasi lemak, my friend?

Brian Connor said...

Gosh, I'm looking forward to the nasi and attendant pow-wow. But the trouble is, I'm not exactly going strong. The doc was trying to pull me into the hospital this morning but I managed to put him off for a couple of weeks. In the interim I'm afraid I'll be fit for nothing.

I reckon I may finally get back to one piece in late April, if I'm lucky, so let's hope that around that time we can arrange a major meeting of minds and appetites, at a time when I won't be grimacing my way through the meal.

By the way, some stellar Findings of late. Keep them coming!