Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Ears Open

So much great music and so little time! But here's a thing: being overwhelmed with work helps me hear more intensely. Those sweet moments of surrender to sounds in concord (and sweet discord in some cases - I'm thinking Dylan, offhand) become even more, well, sweet, when they are short & more precious as a result.

Last night, for example, just fifteen minutes to grab some Chopin - four Nocturnes (from the complete set by Barenboim on DG, 2 CDs at a bargain price) and I had never quite grasped their utter crystalline gorgeousness (a vile phrase that gets nowhere near how it felt, but will do for now.)

2 comments:

Trebuchet said...

I can't remember if I ever told you, but my grandfather used to spend the mornings after breakfast (and sometimes during breakfast), playing Chopin's Nocturnes before he went off to do his housecalls. One day I asked him about it, and in that knowing finger-to-the-side-of-the-nose way that grandfathers have, he said innocently, "Why? Is there a better time to play them?"

Brian Connor said...

No you didn't (tell me) I don't think as I'm likely to have remembered such a good story. Grandad sounds funny and wise (a dangerous combination.)

Oddly I do some of my best listening in the morning - but rarely get the chance. For some reason I don't usually play music in the car on the way to work, but listen to the BBC. Not sure why.