Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ear Opener

The busyness is relentless, but the sweetness of the stolen moments remains, brief as it is. Tonight, late on the ECP (from a highly enjoyable session with the drama guys) when the jam was at its worst, a chance to get an extended listen to Dylan's Tell Tale Signs Vol 8 Bootleg Series - a transcendent 2 CD set of outtakes & live stuff from the period of the later albums (sort of, Oh Mercy onwards, if I'm not mistaken.)

All of it was great but the live version of High Water from the end of CD1 is astonishing. I've heard it twice now. The first time I thought just brilliant. Tonight I was simply pinned to the car seat by the stompiest, stonkiest, smokingest version of a great song (lovely banjo on the original 'Love And Theft' cut from Charlie Sexton or Larry Campbell, not too sure.) Coruscating guitars (the touring band from the 'Love And Theft' stuff, I think - so Charlie & Larry again) over a completely hot, loose but tight, in the pocket arrangement; and over that Dylan's astonishing (sorry, I just can't think of other superlatives at present) almost completely wretched but still hanging in there voice nailing the lyric. It's so incredibly dangerous. I really thought he wasn't going to make it to the end and he triumphs. Just.

I have no idea where they played it on that night's set but it's difficult to believe it was anywhere except the end. I mean you couldn't follow that. Mind you, maybe Dylan could

No comments: