Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Enigma Of Arrival

As so often happens here in Maison KL I’ve had difficulties accessing the Internet. Having got on line with no problem at all and accessed emails the computer disconnected itself and each time I attempted to get the dial-up connection I was informed I was entering an invalid user name or password. Not being continually resident in a particular place seems to bring with it a whole raft full of complications. According to the tech people I rang, I was the victim of a hanging session. Very sinister. Anyway, this is what I wrote last night and can only post now:

Friday January 23: It was strange to be taking a new route up to the house, and quite a winding one it was. We arrived around 8.30 pm so it was dark and we didn’t really see any of the damage. The new road took us away from it anyway. Our taman is the same as ever though, a comfortable little enclave. Hope it remains so. Odd and sad to think there are at least four fewer people around on the hill since the last time we were here.

For some, of course, it will be heart-breaking. I wonder if any of those responsible for building the houses caught in the landslide feel they did anything wrong.

Since we’ve been relaxing at home today we still haven’t seen any of the damage and I feel sort of uncomfortably ghoulish in waiting to do so. We’ll be popping down the hill later and that route takes you into the heart of the mess.

No comments: