Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Results

Today will be a very emotional one in a number of homes across this little island. The results of the PSLE (Primary School Leaving Examination) are out - this being the one that sorts the mutton from the lamb and sends them onward to their varied shelves. Fifi got her big news today and is pretty pleased with herself, so that's good. Fortunately they'll be lots of kids in a similar sunny situation, which is also good, but unfortunately they'll be plenty over whom dark clouds are looming, which is not so good, but it's the way things are and it's difficult to see how the world could turn otherwise.

When I first came to Singapore I was impressed at the sense of direction that pervades society in terms of recognition of the importance of examinations and education in general. It was refreshing after dealing with teenagers in the UK who were often simply lazy, nowhere close to fulfilling their potential and who often showed no sense at all that school was important in their lives. They appeared to assume the world owed them a living. However, I quickly came to recognise that the unwavering spotlight on examination success came at a price. Paradoxically that price was sometimes a decent education in itself.

Two problems. First of all, the obvious point that letting assessment lead the curriculum is not exactly sensible. You will end up assessing only that which lends itself to being assessed, and, even more scary, a position is quickly reached in which students only take what they can be made to be successful in. Nothing else counts. Secondly, an obsession with results, especially achieving outstanding ones, leads to extraordinary levels of anxiety for all involved. It's to Fifi's credit that she seems to have sailed through the year and found plenty of time in which to enjoy herself (though it's going to be awfully easy to say of her, or any child for that matter, that her 'score' (that's the curious common usage here) could have been even better had she worked that little bit harder and sacrificed some of the time in which she was enjoying herself - like the times she was reading merely for pleasure.)

One thing I discovered very quickly in schools when I first arrived here was the curious reluctance of quite a number of teachers to actually teach what are termed graduating classes, because of the 'pressure' involved. Such pressure came, as far as I could see, not from any obvious extra workload, but simply from worrying about the results that might be achieved. Curiously since I felt no pressure at all, believing that, having done my best to teach as well as I could and worked hard to do so, the results were essentially those of the students who got them, I haven't felt any such reluctance. My guess is that not particularly caring makes me better at what I do.

I am still essentially impressed though with this far place - it's the balance that seems to me to be out (isn't it always?), but there's a base of achievement to build on, which is something. More young people here wake up hopeful and with a sense of what needs to be done rather than bored and lacking in any real direction, and that's no bad thing. I just hope that not too many youngsters have lost heart today.

3 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Ah you've become a POD-person, I see. Just a couple of suggestions:

1) Try hard to deftly insert a bit of Wittgenstein. They'll have to appreciate him a bit anyway, and to know that words ought to have exactitude is something more important than many of them realise. (Yes, I am aware I split the infinitive, but I'm not an Homeric Greek, so it's not a problem!)

2) Besides exactitude, words ought to have reliability. But trans-cultural barriers are problematic. Maybe they should think about why the Qu'ran is to be read in Arabic while the Bible is all over the place in terms of translations. There are some really funny translations of the Bible...

The Hierophant said...

I did badly for PSLE considering what was expected of me: 246, among the lowest in my batch. I remember not feeling very anxious at all... It seems a lot more competitive now than it was a mere 6 years ago.

Brian Connor said...

Re the POD: Soo Keong, our heroic editor, had already suggested a bit of a bio on old Ludwig in the language chapter, so consider him deftly inserted. Nice suggestion, though. As is the one concerning the 2 scriptures. Funnily enough, this had been on my mind at a recent TOK workshop for teachers but I didn't bring it up as I'd already talked too much anyway.

Re the PSLE: 246 sounds plenty good enough to me, and T think it's always been very competitive. I suppose it depends on one's perspective. Your own (or that of the Hierophant-to-be) sounds healthily sane.