Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Loose Ended

Someone, somewhere, somehow is making history, I guess, pretty much as usual. But for me the world is grievously shrunk to an absence: that of my wife who has gone off to Melaka to help out with stuff at home now Mak is out of hospital, and more specifically to do the industrial scale cooking necessary for Khir's wedding this weekend. Actually we'd planned for some time, well before Mak's illness, that she should go on the Tuesday, but we're now thinking of her staying there quite a bit longer than was originally intended.

Fortunately I'm the kind of person who has no problems with solitude. I don't see myself as a loner exactly, but I can easily cope with being alone to the point at which solitude has often been a real friend. So I'm not worried by being alone here, but without Noi I'm at the loosest of loose ends. Fortunately she left behind a seriously wonderful banana and walnut cake. And I will be seeing her at the wedding this weekend, so there are reasons to be cheerful.

And I must say, the news out of the States has cheered me, though I think it's all getting a bit needlessly messianic. Well soon enough reality will bite. I've never known it not to.

5 comments:

Trebuchet said...

Eh friend we should one day bum along down by the riverside and makan together.

The Hierophant said...

Indeed. President-elect Obama is no Messiah, and I fear the expectations are too high already... Wish me luck, as I battle the demons from tomorrow onwards.

Brian Connor said...

Makan by the river sounds good to me. Name the day!

And to all battling the demons of the examination hall my prayers include you.

Anonymous said...

tsk tsk. an old skeptic you are!

Brian Connor said...

Old skeptic. I like that. Correct on both counts!