Monday, November 24, 2008

All The Right Notes

I did my best to draw it out as long as I could, but I finished Alex Ross's wonderful The Rest is Noise: Listening To The Twentieth Century over the weekend and I can only think of one bad thing to say about it: a reader who is less than expert on the repertoire covered is likely to finish the book with the wishlist to end all wishlists of CDs that they simply must buy.

One piece of advice I'd give to anyone likely to read the tome. There's a likelihood you'll be tempted to rifle through the text on a dip-in basis. I know I was. In fact, after reading the opening I immediately skipped to the segments on Britten's Peter Grimes and Messiaen's A Quartet for the End of Time. And what wonderful segments they are! But I then got back to reading in the right order, and was glad I did. Although individual segments are outstanding and do easily peel away from the main narrative, it's the inter-connecting sweep of that narrative that the power of the text lies in. Having said that, I'm readying myself to do some dipping quite soon, just as a refresher.

But in general terms Ross triumphantly links the dourest academic developments in twentieth century music to the tumultuous realities of on-going history, and to the various worlds of popular culture. It's this sense of context that makes for sometimes eye-opening reading. I still can't quite get over the fact that the CIA secretly funded concerts promoting 12 tone music as a way of supporting democracy!

Above all Ross is an enthusiast, rather than a critic. He wears his enthusiasms openly, and misses out a lot of stuff I'd have been happy to see him write about. (For example, you get lots of Britten but the merest mention of Tippett.) But it's that sense you are reading a personal account and hearing the world through two fine ears, not necessarily your own, that makes this far more than just a dry survey.

Oh, and I love the jacket design.

3 comments:

Trebuchet said...

You're making me feel like such a Philistine as I listen to my rowdy collections of Keane and St Etienne. *grin*

Brian Connor said...

It's Hendrix, Prince, Style Council and King Crimson in the car, if that makes you feel better.

Actually I quite like Keane but have never heard St Etienne. (Did they play live here recently.) The young band I'm really into is Arctic Monkeys, but that's due to an odd personal connection, which I will blog about one day. But not today.

Brian Connor said...

Forgot to mention: also got Bowie's Diamond Dogs in the car. Surely his worst ever album. But it's got Rebel Rebel on it, which is redemptive. Gosh, this stuff dates me.