Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Missed Opportunities

It seems that 9 October was National Poetry Day (in the UK) as designated by whoever has the say on these matters. There seem to be days for just about everything now and I suppose this does no harm, but I don't feel bad about not knowing anything about it as I see no particular reason for going to a lot of trouble to promote the reading and writing of the stuff. I'm puzzled when people don't like poetry but not terribly upset. It's a free world and if you'd rather play computer games or follow Formula 1 racing, good luck to you. I must say I think you're missing out on a lot but I'm pretty sure a reasonable effort has been made over years to alert you to the virtues of poetry and that's about as much as one can reasonably expect. I certainly don't think it's going to do poetry itself any great harm if it remains a minority interest. Maybe that's what it should be? Though I hasten to add, I think there's a lot more readers out there getting thoroughly immersed in the stuff and writing it than tends to be assumed.

Oddly enough I suspect it helps a lot in the classroom when classes realise a teacher is not terribly fussed as to whether they pick up on the teacher's enthusiasm for a subject. A kind of odd reverse psychology kicks in.

But the missed opportunity I'm really kicking myself over concerns last Friday's concert at the Esplanade Concert Hall featuring Vaughan Williams's 6th Symphony (and a tasty bit of Walton plus the Enigma Variations) by one of the big London orchestras (the Philharmonic, I think.) How did I manage not to know anything about this until I read the review? I've heard the Enigma a couple of times in concert so that didn't hurt, but I've never had the chance to listen to the Vaughan Williams in the concert hall and, scary as it is to say it, there's a fair chance I never will again. Rats!

4 comments:

The Hierophant said...

Poetry ought to be enjoyed by everyone, I always say, and it's not too difficult to get started. But I'm with you on the "not terribly upset" -- to each his own!

Trebuchet said...

I think the most important thing is that the teacher has, in the first place, enthusiasm for the subject.

*grin*

It also helps if the teacher is a fair hand at doing what he teaches... come on Mr Connor, where's that Mancunian wit in book form? You could be Manchester's (or even Singapore's) James Joyce!

Brian Connor said...

Much wisdom here. Blushing (partly with pleasure, but mainly with embarrassment) at the idea of being in any instance whatsoever a possible Joyce. However, I know of a (former??) teacher in Singapore who has nore than enough wit, wisdom, eloquence, and insight to be a candidate for the writing of the Great Singapore novel. And it's not me.

Trebuchet said...

Haha, yes we must get that grouchy historian downstairs to go write a great Singapore novel...