Thursday, July 10, 2008

Speechifying

I spent a long, long afternoon today at the semi-final of the Plain English Speaking Awards (for secondary schools). It bought back memories of this time last year when I was at the same place with our then contender, Rekha. This year I've been accompanying Vieshalan, another highly talented speaker, who's sailed through to the final. Actually my job is so easy it's hardly work at all and I feel for those teachers who have to work with somewhat less talented performers. In fact, I feel for the performers themselves. It's no easy task to get up on that stage, especially for the impromptu round, when language has a way of twisting itself into unpleasantly complex knots or, worse still, suddenly running out on you.

There's a nerve-wracking element to all this - for me, I mean. This is not centered on our guys who I know will do a good job, but on the kids who I think might just struggle. I find myself saying the odd prayer that they don't go on and die up there. Part of the relief today was that everyone acquitted themselves well. I suspect that if I were a parent I might just find myself feeling very emotional if it were my offspring delivering up there.

No comments: